Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I Wish I Could Say I'm Surprised

Families of Fallen Utah Highway Patrol Troopers Fight Atheist Group Over Roadside Cross Memorials
There are a number of things that bother me about this particular group; atheism aside. In the story published by Fox News the group's lawyer, Brian Barnard, was quoted as saying,
"The use of those crosses constitutes and endorses Christianity. Although it's an acknowledgement of the death of these troopers, it is also an endorsement of Christianity." Additionally he stated, "There's no question at all that these highway patrol troopers should be honored. We should all pause and thank them. But that can be done in a way that does not emphasize religion."
If Mr. Barnard and the group he represents feels that the families of the fallen troopers are breaking the First Amendment, it only makes sense that Arlington National Cemetery is next. You see, each headstone is issued by the government and bears the symbol of religious affiliation of the person buried. Wouldn't this be considered the same? If the headstones are issued, then that means that taxpayers have footed the bill. This is not even the case in regards to Utah.
I'm quite confused over this, in my opinion, a frivolous lawsuit.
The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits the establishment of a national religion by Congress or the preference of one religion over another, or religion over non-religion.
Again I use Arlington National Cemetery as an example. Let's count all the symbols of the headstones and find out the cross:Star of David ratio so we can see the government's preference of religion. Which I might add, is against the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment as stated above.
I certainly pray for U.S. District Judge David Sam who is ruling this particular case. I pray that God would give him proper discernment, peace and comfort in his decision.

No comments:


BattleCry.com